Mar 10, 2007

USCIS
Nebraska Service Center
P. O. Box 87140
Lincoln, NE 68501-7140

RE: EB1a Alien of Extraordinary Ability Immigrant Petition
by Dr. , Ph.D.

Dear Immigration Officer:

I am writing this letter in support of , Ph.D. in his immigrant petition as an alien of extraordinary ability in the sciences. I have known him for over six years as his Ph.D. thesis advisor at the Center for Superconductivity Research, where I have been a professor at the Physics and Electrical Engineering Department at the University of .

My research group specializes in the area of Epitaxial functional oxides and we are rated among the top two or three groups worldwide in this field. Prior to joining University of as a professor twelve years ago, I was employed at as a Solid State Physicist, and Lab Director over a 17 year period. I have published over 450 papers on the subject and hold over 26 US patents. I am listed 66th in the world’s most cited Physicists and am a Fellow of the American Physics Society, member of the Physics Policy Committee and am on the board of visitors of the College of Mathematics and Physical Sciences. I am also the founder, Chairman and CTO of Inc. (ranked in the top 50 fast growth companies in the greater Baltimore Washington area for four years in a row), a high tech business specializing in the area of semiconductor failure analysis and metrology. In addition, I am an advisor to a technology startup called . For your reference, I have attached a copy of my resume/curriculum vitae and list of publications.

Dr. ’s thesis work is considered one of the best among the 30 or so PhD theses generated in the Center for Superconductivity over the last decade. His work encompassed the study of half metallic ferromagnets and high temperature superconducting interfaces. He was part of a group that demonstrated for the first time the effect of injecting spin polarized electrons into a high temperature superconductor and showed a huge modulation of the superconducting properties. Using this idea, a novel spin transistor was demonstrated for the first time. He was the first to show that the zero bias conductance anomaly, present in the so called D-wave superconductors, is very sensitive to the presence of spin polarized electrons which eventually destroy this anomaly. Using this fact, he designed interfaces where the ferromagnetic properties of various magnetic materials could be studied in a quantitative way. LaCaMnO3, CrO2 etc. were some of the novel magnetic oxides that were studied at these interfaces. In doing these experiments, Dr. developed precise techniques for making material interfaces never made before to a degree of perfection not seen till then and was able to demonstrate these highly significant results. Dr. has sustained national and/or international acclaim and recognition for his achievements in the magnetic oxide field. Dr. is truly one of a small percentage of individuals who have risen to the very top of the half metallic magnetic oxide community. In reaching this conclusion, I have considered the following:

1. Receipt of lesser nationally or internationally recognized prizes or awards for excellence in the field.

(1) U.S. Defense Advance Research Project Agency (DARPA) and U.S. Office of Naval Research (ONR) Scholarship for . This is generally given to those students that are at the cutting edge of the field of spin polarized electron transport. Under this program, the students get to discuss their projects with world renowned researchers, able to hear their lectures and have their travel, stay and all expenses supported by DARPA. Dr. clearly impressed a number of the senior researchers who had come there to give lectures.
(2) Scholarship (Founded by Prof. at Peking Univ.), 1995
(3) Scholarship for Graduate Students of Peking University, China, 1994
(4) The Excellent Undergraduate Thesis Award of University, China, 1993

2. Membership in an association in the field, which requires outstanding achievements of its members.

(1)American Physical Society
(2)Material Research Society
(3)Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers

3. Participation as a referee in the work of others in the same or in an allied field of specialization.

(1) At Conference on Applied Superconductivity
(2) Materials Research Society Symposium
(3) 4th, 5th and 6th International workshops on Oxide
Electronics
(4) At University of *** as Teaching Assistant

4. Original scientific contributions of major significance in the field.

Dr. ’s contribution is significant because his work spans two of the hottest fields today in condensed matter physics: high Tc superconductors and half metallic thin film magnetic layers. Preparing high quality thin films and interfaces of these materials is a technology challenge and Dr. has clearly mastered this skill. In addition he developed advanced techniques for patterning these film structures into device structures that could be measured accurately and here again he came up with a number of original ideas. The problem of interfacing a film of CrO2 with a layer of YBCO (a high temperature superconductor), which has never been done by anyone before was accomplished by Dr. for the first time and this has been a true tour de force. So all in all the following spectacular advances have been demonstrated by him:

(1) Fabrication of high quality half metallic and YBCO interfaces,
(2) Patterning of these film interfaces into measurable device structures,
(3) Electrical spin injection and measurements of the interfacial transport properties,
(4) And theoretical simulation of the interface transport.

The results of his experiments clearly layout a way for us to advance spintronic devices using the half metallic oxide systems and optimizing the material properties of the interfaces. The work of Dr. at is clearly tailored for his abilities and I am absolutely sure that he will deliver on what is expected of him.

5. Authorship of scholarly articles in the field.

Dr. ’s thesis is considered one of the best in our Center. In addition he has published eight other papers in leading Physics and Applied Physics journals where he is either the leading author or co-author. Even though some of his recent works have been less than two years old, the number of citations for these papers has been surprisingly significant considering the short duration.

6. Performances in a leading, critical, or essential role for organizations or establishments that have a distinguished reputation.

The Center for Superconductivity Research is one of the world’s leading research centers in the field of superconductivity and has been funded to a tune of over 25 million dollars by the state of . The faculty come from fairly prestigious research institutions and are world class researchers. The Center only recruits the cream of the graduate student population on the campus. Dr. was hired as one of the most sought after graduate students based on his past performance. While at the Center, he played a central role in a number of programs funded by the Office of Naval Research, DARPA, the NSF Materials Research and Science Center (MRSEC) and the Center for Superconductivity Research. The funding from these institutions is highly competitive and, just to illustrate, University of was one of only 15 institutions that were selected out of a total of 160 proposals fielded at the National Science Foundation. Primarily because of the confidence that the faculty had on Dr. ’s ability to deliver against all odds he was recruited for these programs. Sure enough he validated the trust that we placed on him by completing all the projects to completion successfully.

Dr. is a hard working, never-say-die individual who achieves success against heavy odds. I believe that in the field of programmable lithography at , which is again a field that requires understanding and manipulation of advanced material interfaces, he is a master and a pioneer and I will not be surprised if over the next few years he will come out with a series of breakthrough technologies that would yield more advanced ways of patterning silicon chips. Dr. ’s success at will put US at the very front of silicon semiconductor manufacturing technology. He is clearly a scientist and inventor of the highest caliber and is a prime mover of this field. Hence I support his immigrant petition as an alien of extraordinary ability with no reservation whatsoever.

Should you require additional information in support of Dr. ’s petition, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Sincerely,
回复

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则

Archiver|手机版|小黑屋|妈咪派

GMT+8, 2024-5-19 17:06 , Processed in 0.016874 second(s), 18 queries .